Arkansas agricultural producers who lost property due to recent natural disasters may be eligible for U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) physical loss loans. The Farm Service Agency (FSA) offers these low-interest loans to agricultural producers in 27 Arkansas counties, the primary damaged area, who incurred losses due excessive rain, flash flooding, flooding, hail, high winds, lightning and tornadoes that occurred since Oct. 1, 2018. Approval is limited to applicants who suffered severe physical losses only, including the loss of buildings and livestock. Applications are due March 2, 2020.

“Arkansas’s hardworking ag producers feed our neighbors, the nation and the world,” said State Executive Director David Curtis. “When they suffer losses because of extreme weather, helping them get back on their feet is important. We encourage those affected to reach out to their local USDA Service Center to apply for these emergency loans.”

The 27 Arkansas counties in the primary damaged areas include Benton, Boone, Chicot, Conway, Crawford, Desha, Faulkner, Franklin, Independence, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Logan, Lonoke, Mississippi, Perry, Pope, Prairie, Pulaski, Randolph, Searcy, Sebastian, Stone, Washington, White, and Yell.

Producers in the contiguous Arkansas counties of Arkansas, Ashley, Baxter, Carroll, Clay, Cleburne, Cleveland, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Drew, Garland, Grant, Greene, Izard, Lincoln, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Montgomery, Newton, Phillips, Poinsett, Saline, Scott, Sharp, Van Buren, and Woodruff, along with East Carroll, Morehouse, and West Carroll parishes in Louisiana; Bolivar, Issaquena, and Washington counties in Mississippi; Barry, Dunklin, McDonald, Oregon, Pemiscot, Ripley, and Taney counties in Missouri; Adair, Delaware, Le Flore, and Sequoyah counties in Oklahoma; and Dyer, Lauderdale, Shelby, and Tipton counties in Tennessee, are also eligible to apply for emergency loans.

Physical loss loans can help producers repair or replace damaged or destroyed physical property essential to the success of the agricultural operation, including livestock losses. Examples of property commonly affected include essential farm buildings, fixtures to real estate, equipment, livestock, perennial crops, fruit and nut bearing trees, and harvested or stored crops and hay.

For more information on FSA disaster assistance programs or to find the local USDA Service Center visit

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.